Types Of Compensation To Seek After A Minor Car Crash

5 May 2017
 Categories: , Blog


If you are involved in a car accident that does not leave you injured but does leave you without a vehicle for a while, you may not be able to file a personal injury lawsuit against the at-fault driver; however, there might be some various items you could seek compensation for. You will have to negotiate these items with the insurance company handling the claim, and here are several different things they may agree to reimburse you for.

Loss of income

Losing money from missing time at work is one type of compensation you can seek after something like this happens, but you can only claim this if you actually missed work. Missing work after an accident is quite common, and this can occur if you do not have a car to get there or if you are feeling sick, hurt, or upset after the accident. Make sure you add up exactly how much money you lost from not being able to work after the accident took place.

You can also add in income lost from having to go to the doctor, insurance company, or any other place you had to go due to the accident.

Loss of use

Loss of use is a term that refers to losing the ability to drive your own car. When a car is involved in a crash and must be repaired or replaced, you can request to be compensated for loss of use. The insurance company might offer you money for this, or they might offer to pay for a rental car for you to use until you get your car back or buy one to replace it.

Inconveniences you've experienced

Finally, you might be able to seek compensation from the insurance company simply for the major inconveniences you have experienced from this accident. For example, if you had to spend your entire weekend working out details related to the accident, you could tell the insurance company that this was inconvenient for you and caused you to miss all the things you had planned. Making a lot of phone calls after an accident is quite common, yet this too can be something that is often considered a major inconvenience.

Settling a case like this with an insurance company is the simplest option you have, but it is not always possible. If the insurance company is not willing to negotiate with you, it might be helpful to hire an attorney for assistance.